Your Collection Solution, LLC will accept Landlord-Tenant claims if a law suit has been filed and a judgment has been obtained against the tenant/debtor. If you haven’t pursued the tenant/debtor for past rent and damages in court yet here are some things you should have in place before filing suit and should bring with you when you appear in court:

  • A copy of your lease
  • Rental Application- if one was completed
  • A payment ledger which shows what payments have been made by the tenant/debtor
  • A list of any damages that you are holding the tenant/debtor responsible for
  • Estimates to repair the damages or receipts for those repairs
  • Photographs of the property before and after the tenant/debtor vacated the premises, the photographs post move out should highlight the damages
  • Any correspondences between you and the tenant/debtor i.e. letters, e-mails, text messages, voice mail messages on your cell phone

Contact your local small claims court to find out what paperwork you will need to file a law suit against the tenant/debtor. Inquire about the filing fee and be sure that you are filing in the right county based on where the tenant/debtor now resides.  Each court has a maximum dollar amount for small claims cases. Be sure to inquire about that amount. If you have evicted the tenant/debtor you may already have a money judgment against the debtor so be sure to review the documents from the eviction prior to filing another action. Contacting an attorney for assistance/direction is always advisable. Ten minutes with an attorney could save you a lot of money and time if you are unsure about court process. Once you have a judgment Your Collection Solution, LLC will work to collect the judgment on your behalf.